Committed couples who are in marriages not recognized by the State of Texas or who prefer not to enter such marriages face unique obstacles in estate planning and also in life decisions.
The Necessary Documents
Couples should consider the following documents and must have in their relationships to ensure that their wishes are respected and that their loved ones are protected. These documents are:
- Appointment of Guardian for Children
- General Durable Power of Attorney
- Medical Power of Attorney
- Living Will
- HIPAA Release
- Appointment of Agent for Disposition of Remains
- Co-Ownership Property Agreement with Right of Survivorship
- Cohabitation Agreement
I know this seems like a lot of planning and documents but all are necessary to truly protect you and your family in the event that you or your partner passes away or the relationship ends. These documents are also very affordable especially if you have them drafted at the same time.