Estate Planning Services

Protect the people you love the most with careful planning.

Graduation Package

Estate Planning Dripping Springs

Once your child turns 18 and becomes an adult in the eyes of the law, financial institutions, medical providers and colleges are prohibited from disclosing private information concerning your child unless authorized. In case of an emergency, your child needs the following documents in place for you to be able to help them and make decisions on their behalf:

1. Durable Power of Attorney

This document allows you to manage their financial affairs (either immediately or in the future) should they travel abroad or become mentally or physically unable to do so. This includes managing their financial accounts, renewing their car registration, or filing a tax return on their behalf.

2. Medical Power of Attorney

This document allows you to talk with their doctors, see their medical records, and make medical decisions if they are incapacitated and unable to do so.

3. HIPAA Release

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act requires health care providers and insurance companies to protect the privacy of a patient’s health care information. The Medical Power of Attorney does not grant authority until the principal is incapacitated, so if your child’s capacity is questioned, then HIPAA regulations would prevent access to their protected health information. By signing a HIPPA release your child can authorize doctors to share diagnoses and treatment options with you.

4. FERPA Release

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act protects access to your child’s grades, schedule, disciplinary records and other information, unless they give written consent to disclose the information to you.

Ready to Get Started?

Call 512.870.8187 to make sure you and your child have the proper documents in place, or you can use the form below to get started.

  • Get Started